Why is nutrition not taught in mainstream schooling? It is one of the most vital areas of knowledge for our health. All you hear in school is fruits and veggies yes, carbs no. And this, is such a skewed reality!
I talk to women and see on social media a lot of health/fitness/nutrition posts each day. I wish I could grab them all and say, ‘hey! this isn’t right’. I see women who are eating a can of soup and calling it whole nutrition (have you ever looked at a label on canned soup?!). I see women who won’t let themselves order anything but the grilled chicken and veggies because, well, calories and fat, duh! And I see a lot of women who are drinking nasty shakes and popping pills that are 100% superfoods are veggie, low-cal of course! (this doesn’t go for every protein shake, some are actually decent).
I feel bad for these women. I feel like they are trying really hard and they deserve to know fact from fiction. I feel like they needed a good solid nutrition course sometime in their lifetime.
So I am not going to rant all day but here are a few tips of mine to help you swim through the nutrition industry bull crap.
- Calories don’t always count! Instead of always going low-cal, try looking at the nutrient density of the food instead. Does is have decent balance between protein, fat , and carbs? Nutrient density always counts. For example, nut butter is high cal but full of nutrients. Popcorn is low cal and has almost no nutrients.
- REAL FOOD! I have said it before and i will say it again. eat food that can be grown or raised in your backyard! If it came from lab, chances are it is hardly REAL food.
- Know how to read a label. Reading nutrition labels is so important when it comes to going shopping. How can you put it in your body if you don’t even know what it is?
- Do Your Research. There are some great supplements out there and there are a lot of really crappy ones. Before drinking or eating any kind of supplement do a little research. Know exactly what is inside and how it will react in your body.
- Balance. Know when you need a treat. Know when you need to eat more and when to eat less. You body can not thrive on chicken and veggies alone.
If you have questions, ask!
I am strong. I am capable. I am powerful. I am beautiful.