For my third Nutrition Seminar I am going over some popular dieting strategies and reason they do or do not work. There are some yummy recipes at the bottom too!
This is just my OUTLINE!
Strategy #1: Low Calorie Diets
- Typically anything under 10kcal/lb/day
- Nutrient deficiency
- Metabolism reduction
- Muscle and bone loss
- Body won’t diet to an extreme, it is too smart!
INSTEAD: Try increasing exercise a little at a time while keeping a nutrient dense diet.
Strategy #2: Low Carb Diets
- Anything below 13% of your daily intake
- Poor performance mentally and physically
- Hormone imbalance
INSTEAD: Try limiting your simple carb intake. Fill up on veggies first then got to complex carbs.
Strategy #3: Carb and Calorie Cycling
- Trying to eliminate a plateau
- Avoiding Homeostasis
- Option one: low carb or low calorie for 7-10 days, 1 day of high carb/calorie
- Option two: Low carb or low calorie for 4-6 days, 1 day of moderately high carb/calorie intake
- Keep Diet Clean
- 10 kcal/lb/day – 13kcal/lb/day and 10% carbs/day – 50% carbs/day
THIS PLAN IS WORTH TRYING. AS LONG AS YOUR DIET IS CLEAN AND YOU CAN HANDLE HIGHER CARB/CALORIE DAYS WITHOUT GOING WAY OFF TRACK.
Other Tricks of the Trade:
- Drink a bottle of water before each meal.
- Use a natural energy booster like maca to get you going.
- Fill our plate with 1/2 veggies and and at least ¼ protein. Eat one serving then wait 20 minutes before going for seconds.
- Have some raw veggies cut up to snack on while you cook.
- 1. When did you last eat? If it has been 2-4 hours, it is time to eat again.
- 2. Where is your protein? You should have one serving with each meal. (about 20g).
- 2. Where are your veggies? You should be eating a serving (1/2-1cup) with each meal.
- Where are your carbs? If you just worked out, great add in a mix of carbs. If you didn’t, add in veggies for carbs!
- Where is your fat coming from? Pick whole sources and mix them in through out your day.
“I will not feel deprived when I give up junk food. I will feel empowered that I made a healthy decision”
It takes 4 weeks for you to see a difference. 8 Weeks for you family to see a difference. 12 Weeks for co-workers and friends to see a difference. Keep going”
Eating well is self respect.
One reason people give up so quickly is because they look at how far they have to go instead of how far they have gotten.
I am strong. I am capable. I am powerful. I am beautiful.
Vanilla Latte Protein Smoothie:
1 c. unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice)
1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I like RAW brand)
½ frozen banana (can be omitted or substituted)
1tsp. espresso powder or shot of espresso or strong coffee
1/4c. Greek yogurt vanilla
crushed ice to taste
Honey to taste (optional)
Blend and enjoy!
2c. cooked corn
2 avocados, diced
1 pink halved cherry tomatoes
¼-1/2 diced red onion
2 TBSP olive oil
½ tsp. grated lime zest
1 TBSP fresh lime juice
¼ c. chopped cilantro (may be omitted)
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
Sweet Potato Toast:
Thin sliced large sweet potato
Berrys, greek yogurt